t f y
^

Vietnam

Vietnam Veterans Benefits

Vietnam: Agent Orange

Exposure to Agent Orange, the herbicide used to kill off dense plant life, caused multiple conditions in veterans of the Vietnam War.  All Veterans who served a single day in Vietnam, are presumed exposed as a matter of law. Some veterans who served in Korea along the DMZ during the Vietnam War were also exposed. The following conditions have been identified as service-connected by the Veterans Administration:

• Acute and Sub-acute Peripheral Neuropathy
  • AL Amyloidosis
  • Chloracne (or Similar Acneform Disease)
  • Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
  • Diabetes Mellitus Type 2
  • Hodgkin’s Disease
  • Multiple Myeloma
  • Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
  • Porphyria Cutanea Tarda
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Respiratory cancers
    • Lung
    • Bronchus
    • Larynx
    • Trachea
  • Soft-tissue Sarcoma (other than Osteosarcoma, Chondrosarcoma, Kaposi’s Sarcoma or Mesotheliorna)

On March 10, 2010, the VA published a proposed regulation to establish B-cell leukemias, such as hairy cell leukemia, Parkinson’s disease, and Ischemic heart disease, as associated with Agent Orange exposure. Any updates to this legislation or any new related legislation will be posted to www.AlphaDisability.com.

Apply for Benefits with an Alpha Advocate – Vets Helping Vets

If you do not receive a fully favorable decision from the VA, or you disagree with the percentage given to your disability, we can help you appeal for more.

It can take months, in many cases, years, for the VA to grant benefits. If you think you have a service-connected disability, or need help to prove that you do, the Alpha team is ready to help you.

Note: All representation coordinated by Alpha is provided by our employees, the Advocates, who are accredited by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). No private organization that trains and employs accredited agents has been legally recognized by the VA for the purposes of preparation, presentation, and prosecution of claims. This work must be done by the Advocates themselves and not organizations.

96 comments to “Vietnam”

• Alpha, September 27, 2011 at 10:16 am

Sharon,
    That’s not how we feel at Alpha. It is possible that service in Vietnam caused his diabetes. If service connection can be proved he could be entitled to compensation benefits from the VA. There are too many Vietnam veterans who don’t even realize that their illnesses could be service-connected. We’d like to help if we can so please have him call us at 877-611-7724 to talk to one of our Alpha advocates. It’s worth a try.

• Alpha, September 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

Ronald,
    If you are the executor of your brother’s estate you can use his funds to pay his bills. Also, if he was receiving any Compensation or Pension payments from the VA, the check that was received on September 1, 2011 was for the month of August and does not need to be returned. However, the check that he will get on October 1, 2011 will need to be returned and you should notify the nearest VA Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000 to tell them that your brother has passed away.

• leo, November 3, 2011 at 2:03 pm

hello my name is leo. my dad had served in Vietnam and was given %100 Veterans Disability. he pass away in sept 24, 2007. at the time of his passing me and my mom had went to the VA in victorville ca and filed for benefits. this was 2 weeks after his passing. my mom now had to pay a $2600 house payment by herself so i picked up 2 more jobs to help make it happen. anyway we were told it could take over a yr before we knew if we would get approved for benefits. well 4 months go by and now its jan 5 ,2008. i find my mom dead in her room. about 4 weeks after that a letter from the VA states that she was entitled to the benefits and that a check with 6 weeks would be mailed out. so six weeks go by. the check comes. me my dad and my mom were all on one account. check was deposited and sat in the bank for 2 months. then one day i look online at our account and its being deducted back out of the account and the reason the VA says is cause my mom had passed away before the payment was made to her. my question is after filling out all paper work and being approved would’nt i being next of kin to my parents be entitled to that payment still? thank u leo

• Alpha, November 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Leo,
    We’re so sorry about your parents. If you are under the age of 18 you could be entitled to benefits. But if you are older then you are not considered a dependent child. From what you describe, it sounds like your mom passed away before the VA made a decision on her benefits. They aproved her for spousal benefits and deposited the first benefit. However, the VA did not know she had passed away during the time they were making their decision. Because she died, the benefit had to be returned. And if you are not a dependent child under the age of 18, unfortunately the benefit is no longer available to the estate. If you have any questions and want to talk further about this please give us a call.

• leo, November 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm

thank you for your reply you nailed it perfect thank you ! have a great weekend leo

• mary, November 9, 2011 at 4:17 pm

my husband was in vetnam in 1967 he was a gunner for a duster.he now has heart problems and he had bypass surgery.we have filed for hearing and ptsd, hypertention secondary to ptsd, sleep disorder,with skin problem due to hypertention. we were told he not eligible for agent orange he has no health problems seen by va. why do va take so long when these men served with out complaint and fought for their country.we filed in 2010

• Alpha, November 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Mary,
    We have helped many Vietnam veterans get the benefits they deserve for their service to our country. Here’s just one of those stories from a veteran we helped. We would like to review your husband’s case. Maybe we can do more for your husband, and get things moving for him. If interested please call in to talk to an Alpha advocate at 877-611-7724.

• ouida krueger, December 14, 2011 at 5:06 pm

my husband was drafted into the veitnam war. He saw much combat,saw people he got to know killed that were right next to him. It took many years for him to talk about it and im sure much was left out. when he got out of the army he applied for disabillity for ptsd,he was ignored. He has been treated for ptsd from then until now.He has never recieved any benifits or compensation. is there any thing he can do to recieve his well deserved compensation and benifits?

• Alpha, December 15, 2011 at 11:02 am

Ouida,

We would like to help your husband get the most in disbability benefits he is entitled. Please call us at 877-611-7724. Our Alpha advocates are here for you both.

• connie, January 19, 2012 at 10:09 pm

My husband was denied compensation back in 1998 and since he has passed, do i need to bring this up to my service officer or it only applies when i appealed the case after the fact.

• Alpha, January 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Connie,

I’m going to try and answer your question the best i can. If the veteran was denied in 1998, appealed the case and won at anytime during that appeal he would be awarded benefits back to the 1998 claim and the clock would start ticking towards the ten years. If he did not win at appeal and submitted a claim to reopen and won, benefits the date of that claim is where the ten year period would start. Hope this helps.

• Florastine Butler, January 30, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I want to give God and Alpha disability, Dr. Clayman and internet the praise for helping me to get the benefits for my husband’s death which the VA approved for service-connected. It took from 1973 to 2011 to prove my husband’s death was service-connected. The VA turned me down for years. I found Alpha and Dr. Clayman on the internet and they truly help me to get the benefits that I deserved.

• eddie childers, February 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

hey to all ,well it’s time we got help if you are like me you held on to it long enough sick half your life pains in my chest and you name it we had it please help us ,to die for your freedom is why we sign on the dotted line,but to die of a slow death is just not right thank you

• Alpha, February 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Eddie,

Let us try and help. Call Alpha at 877-611-7724.

• Catherine Graham, February 8, 2012 at 11:32 am

My husband passed away on July 22,2011 from lung cancer. I have a case pending with the VA but they keep telling me that it is in the works. He had heart bypass in 1986 and has had hypertension, both ankles broken from being shot off the wall during Viet Nam with no disability given for this. Heretired after 20 years of service fighting and possibly dying for our country. The VA has not been very helpful and I had to pay all expenses related to his death, which I have filed for reimbursement. I need the help as i am about to lose my home and cannot pay my bills on the amount of SS I receive and there is no one else willing to help me. Could you please let me know if you can be of any help to me. Thanks and waiting or your reply. 281-593-2541

• Alpha, February 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Catherine,

Verysorry to hear about the loss of your husband to lung cancer. We will have someone call you shortly. We would like to help you.

• Sherri, February 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm

My Father died in 1996 with lung cancer, (small cell) and brain cancer. We recently found documents that say he also had a brain tumor in1957. He served in ww2 and vetnam. Our family and some of his doctors believe all his illnesses was caused from the Radiation Exposure where he was stationed. My father suffered terrible through his life after serving. It makes me SICK to think what all the service people have to suffer…The thing is also some doctors tell us that the illnesses that my father got from the service is heriditary to his children..We are having alot of the illness our Father had.. Has this ever been checked into. We need help..My Father suffered already and I dont think his children should. Thank you

• Alpha, February 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

Sherri,

Radiation exposure certainly is known to contribute to the development of several types of cancer. During Vietnam, any vet that served in-country was exposed to Agent Orange, which is also known to contribute to the development of several conditions including cancer. As far as AO affecting offspring of male veterans serving in Vietnam, the VA recognizes Spina Bifida (except occulta form). There are ongoing studies into the lasting effects of radiation and AO exposure. You can find some information on this research by visiting the VA’s website (www.va.gov).

• Mack Spence Jr., April 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I was in the army, in Infantry in Vietnam from 1968 to 1970 and was hit with shrapnal from a grenade. Have head, leg, and arm injuries. I am still pulling metal out of my head and I am 62 years old now. There was a twenty year period I didn’t receive any benefits and don’t know why. About 10 years ago I went back to the VA and they say I am still 20 percent disabled like I was when I got home from Vietnam. Am back on my benefits, and told them they owe me for the twenty years that they didn’t send it to me. I wanted to know if you would help me get the backpay for that 20 years, and I am right now in the process of waiting for VA to make a decision to raise my benefits. I feel I am at least 90 percent disabled. I am 100 percent disabled with social security… Please let me know. My wounds hurt worse since I am aging… Thank you..

• Alpha, April 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

Mack,

I would recommend you get in touch with one of our Alpha Advocates today at 877-611-7724. We will need to request a copy of your claims folder to see if you are entitled to the back pay.

• sue snyder, May 9, 2012 at 2:20 pm

My dad just passed away from primary amyloidosis. He flew (RSO) the SR-71. He flew over Vietnam, but officially they never landed there. He did however, land and spend time in Thailand. Because his missions were classified, we do not know anything much about them. How do i go about finding out if there is a possible link between his primary amyloidosis and his military service of 28 years. prior to flying the SR, he flew B52s and B47s.

• Alpha, May 10, 2012 at 9:51 am

Sue,

Herbicides were used around some airfields in Thailand, so there is possibility for his exposure. The problem is proving exposure. The best way to find out is to file a claim for DIC and put the burden on the VA to develop for his military records to determine if exposure can be established.

• susan salkins, May 16, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I was wondering if I could get any medical benefits, my husband died in 2008 but he served in Viet Nam. Thank you

• Alpha, May 17, 2012 at 10:19 am

Susan,

We might be able to help. Give us a call at 877-611-7724.

• Danette Brzozowski, June 11, 2012 at 9:36 am

My husband served in the Army in the Vietnam War. I have notice a lot of medical conditions from coughing to numbness in he’s hands to acholic. I have been trying to have him go for a Agent Orange exam but he refuses. I am really worried because not only he does not talk about it but every time he see a doctor he claims he’s fine. I have seen him just pass out for no reason or get very angry. Please help!

• Alpha, June 11, 2012 at 10:30 am

Danette,

We encourage you to reach out to a Vet Center in your area. A Vet Center offers readjustment counseling to wartime veterans beyond the general scope of the VA Medical Center. He will find several other veterans there that also served in Vietnam with whom he might relate and begin to open up in a safe environment created for men like him. Good luck to you both.

• Patricia, June 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm

My dad served in the Army in Vietnam, he was a tunnel rat( not sure the real name ) He was shot in the stomach and was honorably discharged. He has just started going to the VA about 4 years ago, but only for certain things. He has had a couple of heart attacks, and many stints put in. Loss of hearing, and still sleeps with his hand behind his head. My mom has worked hard in getting him all the medals was issued(but never given) she has found them. When he went to the VA they did an Agent Orange test on him and said he was not affected, and his medical condition with his heart has nothing to do with it. My dad has never received any money from the Army since leaving, and everyone I have talked to said he should be getting a check every month, and because he was in Vnam he should be receiving benfits from Agent Orange. Is my dad supposed to be receiving financial benfits,and can you help? As of today he is on SS disibility, and can only work so much. My parents are on a fixed income, and just trying to stay above the water. My dad also had a GI bill that he never used, what happens to that?

• Alpha, June 25, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Patricia,

We can help your father. Since he was an in-country wartime veteran he is eligible for Alpha’s services. Please have him call us at 877-611-7724. We would like to help him get the benefits he deserves!

• Tom Lemley, July 15, 2012 at 5:15 am

My father passed away on May 4th 2012, he was in the Marine Corps from 1966 – 1968. He was wounded and sent back state side after he recovered. My dad had been going to the VA for quite some time and they ran every test you could think of. Until the last week in January this year his hands and feet started to swell & I thought he may have been allergic to something in the place he moved into. Well after a few weeks went by his forearms started to swell also. My sister then took him to the VA in Pittsburgh and they took an MRI and found a mass in the center of his chest, along with a spot in his colon & right lung. They didn’t know what to do, but had him on several medications. The swelling started to go down, but after a few more weeks his arms were huge as if he was on steroids. My sister called his doctor (VA Clinic in Greensburg) and they wanted to take my dad down to the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh again from April 14th or 16th, but would not do anything until May 1st 2012. So my brother and my dad’s friend (also a USMC Vietnam Vet) took our dad to Latrobe Hospital and the doctors in Latrobe were trying to call the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh and when they finally got through the VA Hospital told the doctors in Latrobe that they didn’t have anymore beds available.
    Now that didn’t make any sense at all! Anyways, the Oncology doctor in Latrobe hospital had said that our dad had the same symptoms as several of his other patients which was caused by (you guessed it) Agent Orange. The doctor did diagnose my dad with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. The VA claims that he had this mass from March 2012 and he was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer just weeks before he passed away? He also stated that the mass was 4″ wide x 1/2 dollar in height, pushing on the outer part of the lung, constricting blood flow back to the heart and basically closing his windpipe (suffocating to death). They also drained 2 pints of fluid from behind his chest plate and the biopsies they took everything came back negative. Now we are getting medical bills that the VA SHOULD BE TAKING CARE OF!
    They had said they didn’t have any more beds, so should they be the responsible party? I also want to know why is it that OUR VETERANS CAN NOT GET THE HELP THAT THEY DESERVE! They should have the best health care and shouldn’t be treated like Lab Rats. They fought for there country and this is the way this country repays them? Our dad was only 65 years old and was way to young to die especially this way. These doctors at the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh are the SAME doctors who work at (UPMC) University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center, one of the most prestigious medical facilities in the country?!?!?! My dad also started to file a new claim when he went to the VA for a scheduled appointment, but who knows about that now. Then again I should come to expect this from our elected officials in this country along with the VA, it took my dad 22 years of being out of the Corps to get his Purple Heart!

• Tom Lemley, July 15, 2012 at 5:18 am

So should the VA take care of all the medical bills for our dad? They are the ones who claimed they DIDN’T HAVE ANY BEDS AVAILABLE!

• Alpha, July 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Tom,

We recommend that you reach out to the patient advocate’s office in the Pittsburg VAMC and file a complaint and request that they pay for these medical expenses.

• Tom Lemley, July 21, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Thank you for your reply and who we should contact.

• Kelly Saucier, July 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I need some advice about filing backpay for my father’s disability case. He has deceased after a long drawn out battle with heart disease, PTSD, and skin diseases from agent orange. He supported our family on 15% disability for many years and 30% the last year before he passed away at 49 years onld. He was a Vietnam Vet and had very bad PTSD that cause many problems with being around people, concentrating at work. He couldn’t even work or hold a job, he’d have a heart attack. He probably had 30 before he passed away. He even had inpatient treatments which had drug treatments that had caused 14 heart attacks while in the VA in New Orleans. I was hoping to get the disability to go back and re-evaluate his actual disability and capabilities through medical and VA records. What can I do?

• Alpha, July 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

Kelly,

In order to be eligible for survivor benefits, you must be a surviving spouse or dependent child. A person who is over the age 18 is not a dependent child, unless they were permanently incapable of self support prior to the age of 18.

• william David Gipson, August 25, 2012 at 2:05 am

I was serving our country for eight years or even more up until I refused a great honor of being a represenative for becoming a drill instructor at Clifornia as I thought about the offer I decided I would take my weary body home and end my military career with a early retirement due to medical reasoning, You may say I was crazy to even consider to stay in the Marines but as a trained soldier and dedicated marine my pride was giving me a bunch of mixed emotions because I really wanted a full career in the service, but alot of events which happened to me caused me to hurridly decide to leave and place the past behind me yet I would fall asleep with mixed emotions and dream of the close calls and threats from American soldiers who wanted to see me dead, either because I was above them with rank and position or because they wanted me to feel as though I was at fault because I followed the rule of training and the rule of thumb as a key factor of living and following the rules governing us while on duty and living abroad while on base or in charge of a platoon while on duty. The Marines were to obey and follow rules as in any squad or platoon or company or battalion reguardless o f who you were and under what ever circumstances.I was verbally threatened by platoon leaders in a tank battalion or armored heavy equipment operators who bunked by my platoon and for some who were buddies to other engineers who were challenging or trying to repremend me with challenging death threats as I was only one who could be silenced because of my strict but necessary orders or rules of authority to obey and repremend any or all persons while on duty and to follow to their utmost ability the proper procedures during engagement and to keep authority as directed to follow and never leave post or go to sleep during or off duty especially during the time for challenging any one on or near my post to challenge all persons on or near my post and to follow all rules of engagement to allow no one to pass with out proper authority to take charge and allow no one to pass with out proper authority and for them not to pass until fully inspected this was a time as if to say as written. To challenge all persons on or near my post with out proper authority, and to be especially watchfull at night and during my time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and allow no one to passs with out proper authority. Eleventh General order. Vietnam was a war with no close friends especially during combat all military even white soldiers were captured and badly treated and captured to fight against other white soldiers and to use government training tactics against every one wearing military uniforms both on bases and off base in saloons or resturants they would be captured brained washed in to murdering or causing assults on many uniformed men especially in areas around military bases out side of Saigon area. Viet Nam had alot of killings from soldiers who were highly trained and they were turned around by brain washing and captured from years back.The white soldiers were found to be from other countries like Germany or Russia speaking many languages and learning skills to work against American soldiers. America not only but other uniformed soldiers fighting for the good cause of freedom and liberty.Viet Nam was a war with many challenges included with high cost of human lifes. Many un necessary deaths were stupid either because of not following orders and keeping in touch and following the rules of engagement etc. Many men were mixed with hate and fear, along with being to young to even understand the rules of engagement and the draft opened the door to young punk kids who were taken off the streets of big cities, Chicago, New York, Boston.The war had to cover up for the loss of many who gave the ultimate price for freedom. So all wars had a costly expense and unnecessary losses of lifes. I have many stories and many lifes which I could talk about but in all engagements their is always to side to a coin and the truth sometimes is hidden and many people die

Many stories are untold. Many people died because they were killed by their men, for some the stories are unclear and for others it is hidden secrets that will never be told because they came home alive and the others did not. But for what ever the reasons where the battles still rage on weather it is over in the Bush or high elephant grass and foilage or in another foreign country America can stand tall but remembering the cost of freedom is also the cost of life, loss of family members and breaking up of families has a high cost to everyone including the PTSD and commiting of taking their lives with others also because of their training and horrid murders and loss of live more are dieing every 15 minutes another soldier takes his life. Washington D.C. has pointed out that many soldiers come home and never return the way they left. I am here as many and a few to tell it the way I saw it and the way it has been for me to live and deny the real truth because of what really happened and where we went wrong as a country…I am applying for delayed process of Agent Orange the years of denial and the thousands that died because their country stalled on processing their claims on how they suffered and eventually died because of ailing livers lungs hearts and other contamination bringing the war soldiers down to their feet causing death before our government even came up with the real truth and what and after claim and denial were processed another one appeared over and over until the government finally said hey we have issues and Lots of soldiers dieing from illness. In my case I am able to discuss some of the issues and hopefully I can live before my day comes to a end for good.I am happy to see that for a majority Government finally decided to give help and compensation to those who deserved many years ago. Now with 100% Per Total in the news they have a form called 21-526b dep of veterans affairs supplemental claim-S-60
    Now years later the white lies re openand the government is breaking loose giving the veterans another chance to reopen where they left off thats if they lived long enough to see this day. I am applying for transparancy and accountability.

• fidel jimenez 7409 last 4, October 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

can help me get my oyher 10 va disability i am 90% now

• Alpha, October 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

Please contact Alpha. We will ask you a few questions about your time in the services and determine your eligibility for additional VA Benefits. I hope you will give us a call at (877) 611-7724.

• david cones, November 6, 2012 at 8:08 pm

i have 40% service connected disability I pay my own disability out of my retirement check. I am a viet nam vet. why do i have to do this when others don’t?

• Alpha, November 8, 2012 at 10:17 am

David,

Sounds to me like your question pertains to Concurrent Receipt Disability Retirement Pay. Please contact DFAS with your questions regarding this benefit at 888-332-7411. However, if you are able to get your combined rating above 50%, it generally results in less offset and more compensation in your pocket.

• eddie childers, November 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Well I went to the VA three weeks ago and I just blew up and am unable to handle it any longer. They send me to a phys…and they said it was p.t.s.d. I had no idea what that was, but after talking the doctor they are putting me in a program for 10 weeks. I hope this helps.

• Alpha, November 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Eddie,

We hope it helps too. Take care and good luck.

• Manuel Jacques, March 15, 2013 at 1:19 am

Can you assist me with my claim, I was in the Army Unit in Nam 1st Platoon !st. Squadron 10th Cav. 4th Infantry Div. 1967 thru 1968 search and destroy mission, central highlands, cambodian border etc. I wrote a letter to the department of defense when I came home on leave from Nam, stating we killed inocent mountain yards in the jungle and I was having problems dealing with the horror. We also had numerous fire fights with the NVA and had to call in gunships or jets, we performed numerous Long range missions. I’ve seen plenty of combat and was part of it, most of the guys would tell me to injury myself because of the what we had to do. I’ve had 3 marriages, angry, sleepless nights bad dreams about the things I did. I filed a claim in 2008 and was denied VA said I wasn’t a combat vet, pissed me off I filed again denied, the third time I filed I was sent to VA Hospital in Prescott to see a mental health Doctor after the session I advised her I had high blood pressure and a pain in my chest after taking my blood pressure I was sent to the emergency room and since then given meds for my blood pressure. I recieved a letter from the VA granting my 30% for depression. I filed through my POA stating why wasn’t I granted back pay from 2008. Since this ordeal with the VA I filed a NOD for there decision on PTSD and also due to hearing problems, in an explosion in my track which was destroyed, and also Cloracne I’ve had, and I was sent to see another mental Doctor Beer, awaiting the decision it will be year in April. Can you help

• Alpha, March 15, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Manuel,

Yes, we can help. Our primary focus for eligibility are those veterans who served in-country during a period of war and are unable to work. If you believe you meet our criteria, then please call (877) 611-7724 for an interview and one of our respresentatives will be able to assist you. We hope to here from you soon.

• Sherri Mathews, May 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm

My father is disabled and has many help problems. He already receives VA benefits. My question is, Is there any help of their offspring is the health issues I have are on lists that I have read. I am almost 42 years old. I was just curious and didn’t know where to start. Thank you for your time.

• Alpha, May 21, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Sherri,

Unfortunately, there are no health resources for family members. The only time there is would be if the veteran is 100%, permanent and total. If this was the case, the wife would be eligible.

• Joseph French, April 10, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I am a Vietnam vet, and was stationed in Danang in ’69-’70 in the Air Force. I now suffer from severe COPD, hypertension, borderline diabetes but the VA denied my claim saying that my problems were not service connected. Correct me if I’m wrong but the minute I stepped off the plane I was exposed to Agent Orange and being in Danang, which was a staging area for Agent Orange, I would have continued to be exposed throughout my tour of duty. Is there any thing I can do??